Living in Australia, we've grown up known to others as the ‘outback country’ where we have Emu’s, Kangaroos and dare we say, drop bears… But when we look at our native ingredients, why is it that we don’t incorporate these in our daily diets?
We have such an advantage living so close to home grown superfoods - yet most of them we’ve most likely never heard of.
Here at Australian Health Vitality, we’re here to explain them to you in a series of our blogs, and what benefits they can have on your overall health & wellbeing.
The Kakadu plum is a small fruit found across Northern Australia. It’s pale green with a stone in the center, it’s fibrous and has a tart, bitter taste.
In traditional medicine, Kakadu plums were used to treat colds, the flu, and headaches. They were also utilized as an antiseptic. This is why you’ve most likely heard of it in lip balms or skin care products - but when we add it to our diet it becomes:
- Highly nutritious
- Richest food source of vitamin C - Yes you read that right - It highest recorded natural amount of vitamin C of any food in the world.
- Good source of ellagic acid
- Great source of antioxidants
- May protect against inflammatory diseases
- May offer natural antibacterial properties
Try Shoalhaven Health’s delicious Marine Collagen infused with Kakadu Plum.